December 3, 2018
Story by Jordan Baker
National Campus Leadership Council (NCLC) seeks a creative, energetic higher education policy wonk to lead NCLC’s portfolio of policy advocacy, analysis, and training. The Policy Manager/Director position will be in at the ground floor of an exciting project that will build infrastructure to elevate student voice in federal advocacy, developing a student policy platform and engaging with key policy stakeholders. This position will liaise regularly with student leaders, higher education advocacy organizations, and public officials.
You are equally passionate about nitty-gritty policy details and the overall power of student voice. You know what issues matter on Capitol Hill and are adept at making complex issues digestible and actionable for diverse audiences. You are a talented communicator, credible on a wide range of issues, and comfortable engaging with varying stakeholders – from first-year college students and student government leaders to university presidents and members of Congress. You love brainstorming with a collaborative team and then implementing independently. You believe in the importance of student leadership and are excited about NCLC’s mission.
Ideally, you have:
- 3+ years of professional experience in federal or state policy development and/or advocacy
- Keen understanding of the public policy process, including legislative and executive action
- An undergraduate and masters (preferred) degree in government, public policy, or a related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Background in teaching or training college students
- Experience in project development, grants management, and/or evaluation
- Personal experience in student leadership (strongly preferred)
- Highly professional work ethic
The ultimate objective of this position is to elevate student voices in higher education policy-making. To achieve this objective, the Director will:
- Oversee the development and promotion of student-driven policy framework, coordinating input and engagement among student-led organizations and content experts
- Develop and implement an external engagement strategy that centers higher education policy reform around student interests, stories, and insights
- Provide content expertise to the NCLC team, network, and partners, monitoring relevant issues, research, and policy proposals
- Liaise and maintain relationships with key policy stakeholders, including student leaders, advocacy organizations, researchers, policy officials and their staffs, and other industry professionals
- Contribute ideas, leadership, and expertise to NCLC communications and products, including the Daily Campus Brief, issue primers, blogs, etc.
- Support the NCLC team in developing policy-based training for student leaders for NCLC’s annual convenings and related projects
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (no more than 3 pages) to email@example.com with “Policy Position” in the subject of the email.
UPDATE: The position has been filled.
© 2019 National Campus Leadership Council